Friday, May 6, 2011

Weekend Whimsey: Kate's Dress!!

As long as there have been rumors swirling about the engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton, there has been speculation about what her wedding dress would look like.  What would influence her choice, who would design the gown?? 

On the 29th, Catherine emerged at Westminster Abbey in a perfect, classic, 1950s inspired gown that surpassed expectations.  "People Magazine" attributed the design as influenced by Princess Grace of Monaco's lovely 1956 lace and satin gown -- but I know better!

You see, I will always subscribe to the fantasy that somehow, somewhere, the House of Alexander McQueen came across a picture from the "Jacksonville Times-Union" from August 1952 and saw the dress that would inspire the royal gown!

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge -- April 29, 2011
and that gown was my mother's!!!!

Della Jeanne Hill Pickens -- August 1, 1952

I wore my mother's dress when I married and felt like a princess!

Suzanne Stuart Pickens (Wylie) -- March 28, 1981
No matter what the fashionistas say, I will always see my mother's (and my) dress when I see pictures of the future Queen of England!

4 comments:

  1. I agree!! It looks just like it!! BEAUTIFUL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You're totally right- clearly, Kate's dress was inspired by your mom's dress! They're very similar. Where did your mom get her dress? Was it from a store or one-of-a-kind?

    I love that you wore your mom's wedding dress at your own wedding. (You both look beautiful in it!) I tried on my mom's wedding dress once when I was a teenager. Actually, I *tried* to try on my mom's dress. She was 4'10" and 83 lbs. when she got married at age 22. I'm 4 inches taller and almost 40 lbs. heavier- I couldn't even get the dress on, let alone zip it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Suzanne - you look GORGEOUS!!! And they clearly stole your dress for Kate ;) Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzanne - firstly - YOU AND YOUR MOTHER ARE GORGEOUS! I agree your Mother was the trend setter - Kate stole your dress!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails