Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Layout Challenge

I participated in a layout challenge with some of my friends and wanted to share with you what I created.

We had 1 hour to complete the challenge. So I was limited to supplies that I had on hand, and photos that were printed. This layout didn’t work with anything I had on hand. But there was no way I was passing up on a challenge. I bring this up because I want to give you another perspective to this drawing, and show you how you can take inspiration from one, and with a few changes, make it your own.


Prima Layout Challenge Drawing from their blog


Notice how the photo is landscape and the elements on the page work around that landscaped photo. This layout was just not going to work with the supplies I had. My photo was Portrait, and my paper design didn't allow for some of the layering in the same places. So I improvised.


From Flamingo Scraps: Prima: Pistachio and Parfait from the Madeline Paper Collection; Monarch Collection - Bling - Flower Center Diamond, Say It In Pearls Collection - Fairy Wings with Flowers - Cream; Glimmer Mist tutty fruity.
Other: Ribbon, Doily, Cricut Home Accents Cartridge "family", EK Success Punches, Martha Stewart Punches for the borders and small paper butterflies, Rosette Trim for the Large Butterflies, and feathers. Sizzix Butterfly die cut.


By taking the same drawing and flipping it I was able to incorporate the elements and still maintain the integrity of the drawing.

When you look at layout drawings don't immediately dismiss them. Try flipping the drawing, or turning it 90 degrees. Looking at it from a different perspective may inspire you and give you more layout possibilities.

3 comments:

  1. Wowwwwwwwwwwwww! You rocked that sketch! I loveeeeeeeee the photo and those butterflies!! GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya!!!! BEAUTIFUL layout!!! and good tips on making sketches fit your photos and supplies!!! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with the sketch! So beautiful! I've been known to print out a sketch, then tape it to my window backwards so I can see what it would look like inverted. (There's probably a way to print it that way, but I like being able to see it in 8 different ways- rotated and flipped.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails