Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Upcycled Gift Card Holder

When I give a gift card, I like to place it in a homemade card or gift card holder.  It helps make an impersonal gift much more personal.  Here's one I made during the Fiskateers CHA-in-Spirit crop that I've been hosting this week:

From Flamingo Scraps: Fancy Pants patterned paper, Prima flower, Prima rhinestones
Other: ColorBox ink, Offray ribbon, Chevy's gift card, toilet paper roll


It was quick and easy to make.  Even better, it's been upcycled from a surprising item- an empty toilet paper roll!  This is not my original idea.  I'm not sure where I first heard of it, but if you google it you can find many variations.  Here's how I made mine:

Step 1: Use a bone folder to flatten an empty toilet paper roll.  Use a very strong adhesive to secure the bottom end of the tube closed.  I used the double-sided tape in the picture and it held for a few hours, then popped loose.  I tried a few other things and eventually used a glue gun. 


Step 2: Wrap the tube in patterned paper.  I recommend lots of adhesive for a strong hold.  Use a circle punch to create the indentations in the top. 


Step 3: Ink the edges and embellish as desired.


Step 4: Create a tag from matching patterned paper.  Add a ribbon and insert inside tube. 

Step 5: Use a Glue Dot to attach the gift card to the tag.  It's ready to give! 

Here's one more that I made.  This one is for a baby shower.


From Flamingo Scraps: Prima patterned paper and elephant accent
Other: Stampin' Up ink, Offray ribbon, Babies R Us gift card, toilet paper roll

I love how these turned out!  I can definitely see making more for future gift-giving occasions. 

3 comments:

  1. These are AWESOME Cindy!! I never would have guessed those were toilet paper rolls! Very cool! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool idea!! LOVE them - I may have to try making one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy!!! This is sooooo cute!!!! AND something everyone has!!!! might be too heavy, but would be neat to try it on a LO for hidden journaling!!!!! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails