Friday, August 23, 2013

August Flamingo Four

It's time for August's Flamingo Four!  This month, three other designers and I worked with these four items:



                                        1) Fancy Pants rub-ons
                                        2) Maya Road Vintage Trinkets
                                        3) miscellaneous empty box
                                        4) two chess pieces


Abigail's Take

I took the red handle off of the clear plastic box and replaced it with a piece of twine. I wanted it to be more of a shadow box. I used some Pink Paislee Secret Crush paper to make backgrounds for the shadow box. I used the rub-ons to decorate the paper, added the flower and then the chess pieces.



Erin's Take


We always get the oddest items for our Flamingo 4 projects, which is so much fun.  I never know what I am going to create until I let the objects sit and marinate for awhile.  I knew I wanted to do something with the box as a hidden object inside it, then it hit me, the chess pieces are the hidden items. I played with the beaded flowers and bam - pull them apart and you got wings.  This got me thinking of the Disney movie Fantasia on the scene with all the mythological creatures, and in it were the Pegasus mom and dad with the babies.  Dad is a black winged horse and mom is a white winged horse (the babies are all different colors of blue, pink, yellow, etc).  I envision the box as their secret love nest, the hidden romance of good and evil, light and dark, or something like that.  So this is our glimpse of the mythological hidden romance.


I pulled apart one of the beaded flowers and placed 2 petals on the white chess piece as "wings" and then placed the remainder of the flower on the black chessmen for his wings. They are nestled in a "bed of grass" which is Maya Road trim.


All around the box I used the rub-ons to decorate the love nest.  I overlapped and surrounded all sides of the box with the flowers, vines, and dots from the rub-on pack.


After taking off the red handle, I used wire to secure hold the front of the box open and then used Zip-Dry glue to glue the hinges in place so the box would stay in a permanent open position so it appears that we are peaking into the box.  I then removed the wire once the glue dried.


Alicia's Take

The chess pieces really presented a challenge for me this month!  I started out by coating the entire inside of the box with Staz-On ink in Teal Blue and let it dry.  Then I put a rub-on accent across the bottom of the lid of the box and around the sides.  I knew I wanted to adhere the Maya Road flower to the lid of the box, but I needed to figure out what to do with the chess pieces.  I decided to use them as "stamps" to stamp the circle images in Gesso on to the box. After they dried, I colored them with Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Sweet Cherry.


Here is a look at the back side of the box.


Now I have a little box to house some of my sequins when I travel to crops.


Cindy's Take

When I begin a Flamingo Four project, I try to focus on the most difficult item(s) first.  Rub-ons and flowers could go on anything... layouts, cards, tags, altered items, etc.  But an empty box and chess pieces can't, so I decided to start with those.  As I played around with them, I realized that the chess pieces fit perfectly in the box.  Hmm.. what if I filled the box with all sorts of game-related items?  

By happy coincidence, I had a deck of miniature playing cards sitting 2 feet away on my desk, so I pulled out the 4 aces and put them in the box.  The fit was perfect.  I added some poker chips, dice, and Scrabble tiles until the box was stuffed.  

On to the rub-ons.  One of them said "Play," which was perfect for my theme.  I transferred it on the box, then added a few white dots to draw attention to the word.  

Finally, the sequin flowers.  After experimenting for awhile, I took apart the flowers and put the sequins in the bottom of the box along with some additional gold sequins.  They provided a great bed for all the items to sit in and helped give the box a more finished look.  

Here's my project:

 
That wraps up another fun Flamingo Four! We'd love to see your take. If you make something using the same four supplies as our designers, send us a picture and we'll feature it here on the blog. To find the materials we used (and so much more!) visit the Flamingo Scraps store!


3 comments:

  1. Great job everyone! Another fun installment of Flamingo Four! I really had a tough time with those chess pieces! I had the rest of the box done and wrestled with the chess piece for 3 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job everyone!! i love this post every month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just incredible ladies!!!! I am totally blown away by these projects!!! and Erin -- your back story is amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails